Chaotic night of shootings in SE Portland ends with 1 dead, 2 hurt

PORTLAND, Ore. - At least one person died and two more were hurt after three early morning shootings in Southeast Portland on Friday.

The shootings all happened around the same time but were unrelated, said Portland Police Bureau Sgt. Pete Simpson.

The string of incidents started around 1:38 a.m., when someone reported a shooting on S.E. Division St. at the southbound I-205 off-ramp. Police did not find any victims, but did find a crime scene.

Later, 23-year-old Jeray Lashawn Jessie turned up with a life-threatening gunshot wound at a Portland hospital. Police believe the incident might have been gang related.

They also said a car they found near 92nd and Market might have been involved.

Around the same time, police responded to what turned out to be a deadly shooting near S.E.124th and Powell Ct. Poilce said 24-year-old Precious Antanaye Jackson was dead when the arrived.

The officers who responded chased a vehicle for a short time, and the driver crashed a few blocks away.

Police said three or four black males jumped out of the car and disappeared into the neighborhood.

"It's a very emotionally charged atmosphere out here," Simpson said. "This is a small complex, and a lot of people here know each other."

Police set a perimeter from S.E.122nd to S.E. 132nd Aves., and from S.E. Powell to S.E. Holgate.

SWAT officers looked for possible suspects, but completed their search and turned the investigation over to homicide detectives around 6:30 a.m.

Simpson said it was the 12th homicide in Portland his year. It came one day after the 11th, a shooting in N.E. Portland.

The third shooting appears to have been either self-inflicted or an accident, Simpson said. The victim turned up at the hospital early Friday morning.

Police said people in the area of the shootings should call 911 if they see anything suspicious. They also said anybody who lives near Gilbert Heights Park and finds any clothing in their should call police immediately.