MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Coos Bay home that caught fire & killed two had no smoke alarms

A fire at a Coos Bay home in the Englewood area took the lives of two people, Feb. 12, 2018. (SBG)

COOS BAY, Ore. -- An investigation into a fire that killed a Coos Bay couple Monday morning has determined the cause of that fire.

According to Coos Bay Fire Department, combustibles placed too close to a heater caused the blaze.

Fire crews say flames broke out early Monday morning near S. 19th and Idaho and the couple was found dead inside.

While the fire was contained to mostly one room, the entire building was exposed to thick black smoke.

"One of the things we look for during our investigation is to see if there were any working smoke alarms, and they had no smoke alarms,” said Coos Bay Fire Battalion Chief Dan Crutchfield. “It's not that there was one there that may or may not have worked; there were zero smoke alarms installed in that home."

Coos Bay Fire Department says it's critical to have working smoke alarms in your home.

"If the Coos Bay Fire Department responds to your home, we will put free smoke alarms inside your home,” Crutchfield said. “You just need to call us and we'll schedule an appointment and we'll come out, have them sign a waiver. We install them and educate them on how to properly use and test them."

You can contact the fire department's main station on Elrod to get more information about fire alarm installation.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending