Fire sends Coos Bay man to hospital

COOS BAY, Ore. -- A Coos Bay man was sent to the hospital after a fire burned the duplex he lives in.

The building in the 600 block of Milligan Avenue caught fire before noon on Friday, and spread to both units.

Charleston firefighters pulled the man from the home while the fire was burning in his unit.

Firefighters from Coos Bay, North Bend and Charleston all responded.

For a while, Coos Bay Police had to close off streets near the fire so cars would not try to run over the fire hoses.

Fire crews had to link multiple hoses together to get enough water from a hydrant, which was more than half a block away to the home that sits at the end of a cul-de-sac.

The man who was in the building was taken to the hospital after he had trouble breathing.

The building is considered a total loss.

The Oregon Red Cross is assisting two families that were displaced by the fire, including lodging, food, clothing, comfort kits and information about health services & mental health services.