Roseburg home suffers thousands in damage after clothing next to wall heater causes fire
ROSEBURG, Ore. -- Firefighters in Roseburg battled an early morning house fire Saturday.
At 4:51 a.m. Saturday, Roseburg Fire Department was dispatched to a residential structure fire at 519 W. Harrison Street reported by the occupants of the home.
Firefighters arrived to a single-family home with light smoke showing.
After ensuring all occupants were safely outside, firefighters extinguished the fire, which was contained to a bathroom and its contents
One patient was evaluated for smoke inhalation and refused treatment, officials said.
The structure, which is valued at $132,000, sustained approximately $32,000 in damage, the department estimated.
The cause was determined to be clothing being stored next to an operating electric wall heater in the bathroom, officials said,
A smoke detector was found in the residence but failed to operate due to a battery not being in place, the report said.
Roseburg Fire Department reminds citizens that a working smoke alarm saves lives.
"It is vital that you have a working smoke alarm in your home to ensure your family's safety from a fire," the department said in a news release. "Working smoke alarms provide a critical early warning to a fire, allowing you vital minutes to escape, which increase your chances of survival."
Here are some safety tips from RFD:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, in each bedroom, and outside each sleeping area (hallway).
- Never disconnect or remove batteries from smoke alarms for other uses.
- Use the smoke alarm's hush feature to silence nuisance alarms such as cooking smoke or shower steam.
- Make a home fire escape plan and practice it with family members.