2 women hurt, dog dies in Beaverton condo fire

Photo from Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue

BEAVERTON, Ore. – Two women were injured and their dog died Wednesday in a house fire in Beaverton.

The fire broke out at about 10 a.m. in a condominium in the 9500 block of SW 146th Terrace.

The homeowner awoke to the sound of fire alarms and immediately tried to evacuate her elderly mother, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue said.

"She had some smoke inhalation. The daughter burned her feet while she tried to get her mother out of the condominium," said Cassandra Ulven, a spokesperson for TVF&R.

Both women were taken to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center.

Firefighters tried to save a dog while fighting the fire. They tried to resuscitate the animal; however, it did not survive the fire.

Investigators said they believe the fire was accidental and likely started because of a wood burning stove.

"We have these cold weather snaps and people are firing things up. Even if they have alternative heat in their home, they may go back to their fireplace or wood stove," said Ulven. "You need to have about 3 feet of distance between those things and anything like stacks of newspapers, furniture or any combustible materials."

In 2017, Ulven says TVF&R crews fought more than 620 chimney and fireplace fires, which is why it's important to get them inspected at least once a year. However, you're not in the clear once the fire burns out.

"We've seen fires where folks discarded them and it slowly smoldered within a trash bin and caught the outside of a home on fire and led to significant damage," said Ulven.

Ashes can stay hot up to five days.

Officials said the owners did not have homeowner’s insurance.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off