3 rescued, 1 missing after boat capsizes near Coos Bay bar

A fishing vessel is overturned Wednesday, March 23, 2016, in the channel of Coos Bay near the bar just out of Charleston, Ore. Reports indicate that three fishermen were able to escape and were taken to the Charleston Marinal but one remained trapped in the overturned boat. Only the stern section was left out of the water. The call came in around 8 a.m. this morning. (Lou Sennick/The World via AP) MANDATORY CREDIT

This is a developing story. This story will be updated. Watch your local TV news for the latest

COOS BAY, Ore. - A passerby pulled 3 fishermen from the water after their boat capsized coming in across the Coos Bay bar Wednesday morning, authorities said.

The captain of the Patty AJ is still missing.

The Coast Guard said he is possibly trapped inside the hull of the boat.

A local dive team was unable to get through the debris and fishing gear to confirm.

The cause of the accident is still unknown.

Ronald Silva, a fisherman who has worked on the Patty AJ for nearly 20 years, said there was little wind or swell when the boat went down.

"It's absolutely flat, calm. There's a 5 knot wind. No sea whatsoever," Silva said. "I've been on the boat for 18 years. I've seen some phenomenal weather on that thing. I was shocked that in this kind of weather that it was on its side."

The vessel capsized around 8 a.m.

Two Coast Guard boats and a helicopter were searching for the missing fisherman as of 10 a.m.

Silva was skipper aboard the Patty AJ in 2011 when the vessel rescued two fishermen from the Randi.

"We got several comments that we were the heroes," Silva said at the time. "We are not heroes. We were just there. It was our turn."

Coos Bay was the scene of two capsized boats with fatalities in January 2016.

The Eagle III went down January 19. The captain survived; 2 of the crew members died. Another crew member remains missing.

RELATED |Sole survivor of the Eagle III: 'I'd trade places with them if I could'

A week later, the Sara Jo capsized while collecting crab pots left out by the Eagle III. Two of the fishermen on board survived; a third died from his injuries at the hospital.

RELATED |Sara Jo survivor: 'He called a mayday, we put our suits on, and we took a couple breakers'

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off