Frenchy, Gonzo, Hubba Hubba, Black Bear? Mariners announce nicknames for players' weekend
SEATTLE -- Seattle Mariners uniforms will get another colorful makeover during an August weekend series as Major League Baseball again will allow players to wear alternate uniforms that depict a nickname of their choosing on the back.
It all happens the weekend of August 24-26, when the Mariners visit the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Some of the nicknames are well known: Felix Hernandez as "King Felix", Nelson Cruz as "Boomstick" and James Paxton as "Big Maple". Others show a creative side: Wade LeBlanc as "Frenchy", Denard Span as "D-Span" and Chasen Bradford as "Black Bear."
And then there's Kyle Seager, who arguably won the weekend last year with his hilarious nickname of "Corey's Brother" in deference to his brother Corey Seager that plays for the Los Angeles Dodgers. This year? He's just going as "Seager" like every other day. Guess you can't improve on perfection. Last year Corey Seager was just "Seager" but this year he tried to improve a little with "SEAGS" at least...
Some of the most creative we've found from around the rest of major leagues?
- Texas Rangers' Joey Gallo: "PICO DE GALLO"
- San Francisco Giants' Hunter Pence: "UNDERPANTS"
- Los Angeles Dodgers' Walker Buehler: "FERRIS"
- Los Angeles Dodgers' Yasmani Grandal: "YAZMANIAN DEVIL"
- Houston Astros' Gerrit Cole: "COLE TRAIN"
- Oakland A's Andrew Triggs: "TRIGGONOMETRY"
- Toronto Blue Jays' Marco Estrada: "ESTRATOSPEHRE"
- St. Louis Cardinals' Michael Wacha: "WACHAMOLE"
- Chicago Cubs' Ben Zobrist: "ZORILLA"
- Cleveland Indians' Brad Hand: "BROTEIN SHAKE"
- Miami Marlins' Drew Steckenrider: "STECKASAURUS"
- Philadelphia Phillies duo of Rhys Hoskins: "BIG FELLA" and Tommy Hunter: "BIGGER FELLA"
- Philadelphia Phillies' Andrew Knapp: "KNAPP TIME"
- Pittsburgh Pirates' Ivan Nova: "SUPER NOVA"
- Texas Rangers' Matt Moore: "MATT MAN"
- Colorado Rockies' David Dahl: "BABY DAHL"
- Kansas City Royals' Danny Duffy: "CHILL SERGEANT"
And then there's Derek Holland, who chose the name "LAST NAME" after an ESPN broadcast good that erroneously had his on screen name listed as "Derek Lastname"
Here is the full list of nicknames for the Seattle Mariners
In addition to the colorful jerseys and creative nicknames, players will be allowed to wear T-Shirts that highlight a cause or charity dear to them during pregame workouts and media interviews and they will wear a patch bearing the name of a person who inspired them or helped in their development.